Desktop Factory, the designers of an upcoming desktop 3D printer that intends on breaking the USD$5,000 barrier, may have competition. It's the black box on the desk pictured above.
What we find interesting is 3D Systems' new V-Flash "desktop" model, apparently priced at USD$9,900. Twice as much as Desktop Factory's target price. It's not clear if it is actually available. One section of their website clearly says:
The V-FlashTM desktop modeler is not yet available for purchase.
And a press release from April says:
Rock Hill, South Carolina, Apr. 2, 2008 - 3D Systems Corporation (NASDAQ: TDSC), a leading provider of 3-D Modeling, Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing solutions, announced today that it has begun commercial shipments of its new, revolutionary V-Flash™ Desktop Modeler to North American customers.
Nevertheless, it appears to be a small format 3D printer. According to the website:
- Can produce "high quality and accurate (plastic) models" ... "within hours"
- Small footprint: 26"W x 27"D x 31"H (66 x 69 x 79 cm)
- A little heavy, we think, for a desktop: 145 lbs. (66 kg)
- Build chamber size: 9" x 6 3/4" x 8" (23 x 17 x 20cm)
- "FTI" single-use cartridge technology that "consumes two to three times less material"
3D Systems seems to be targeting this device at engineers and architects who could benefit from immediate 3D feedback on their designs. We'll be watching this device closely.
Via Model In 3D