Finnish software company DeskArtes has released version 9.1 of their 3Data Expert product, which is a professional tool for "repair, conversion and manipulation of 3D CAD data for 3D printing, Rapid Prototyping, Rapid Manufacturing as well as for simulation." It can import a variety of formats and prepare - and repair - accurate models. As well as fixing models, it does some pretty interesting things:
- Split models for separate or lower build
- Add pins to connect the ready parts acccurately
- Hollow models for faster build
- Add Drain Holes to remove non processed material
- Offset solid models form open surfaces
This tool requires a reasonably serious Windows machine, and best operation likely requires a speedy graphics card. See their hardware requirements page for detailed information.