Z Corp has reacted to the Objet Alaris 30 announcement with one of their own: the shiny, new ZPrinter 650! Here are the highlights we found interesting:
- Color! ZPrinters have done color before, but the 650 adds a separate black print head, which means the 650 will punch out truly black stuff. This is so reminiscent of the days when the initial color 2D printers produced bad color because they mixed RGB in ill attempts to make “black”. Z Corp has taken the same step for 3D printers.
- Big! Z Corp has stretched the build chamber on this device to a reasonably large 10 x 15 x 8 inch (or 25.4 x 38.1 x 20.3 cm) size. Now you can make that 15 inch wrench!
- Details! Z Corp states a resolution of 600×540 dpi, saying it’s “the highest resolution in a 3D printer.”
- Easy! Z Corp also states that the 650 is “the easiest-to-use large format 3D printer ever with fully automated set-up and monitoring, no-touch powder and binder loading, and automatic powder recycling.”
- Price. The MSRP on the 650 is only USD$60,000. Still priced for service bureaus, not for the hobbyist yet.
Oh, and you’ll need a couple of big guys to install it, as it weighs 750 lbs!
Via Z Corp