The Financial Times posts their observation of the recent increase of Do-It-Yourself projects and services. This should be no surprise to Fabbaloo readers, but it’s definitely true. More and more people are taking on DIY projects for a variety of purposes. Why is this so?
We believe the convergence of several factors has led to a surge in DIY interest:
- The widespread availability of inexpensive design and modeling software
- The emergence of “maker” communities (including this blog, MAKE magazine and numerous other digital sources) that spread interest and information
- The availability of inexpensive manufacturing equipment, be it either low-cost equipment or low-cost service bureaus
- A creative attitude fomented by discussions within open source communities and dissatisfaction with typically available products
- A lot of free time for many inconvenienced by recent financial difficulties
Mix those together, and what else would you get?