We've obtained some additional information about 3D Systems' new low-cost commercial color 3D printer, the Projet 1500. Priced at slightly under USD$15,000, this device has quite a few very interesting features that we noticed while perusing 3D Systems' documentation. Here's the highlights of our scan through their material:
- Front panel has a window for viewing the build process
- Easy-loading slot on the side for build material, which comes in 2Kg cartridges
- Standard power requirements
- Six different materials that are different colors - and - different physical characteristics
- One color, Zoom a.k.a. Yellow, prints at a much higher speed for draft objects
- Several components directly involved in printing (tray, coater, etc) are easily replaceable
- Minimized number of movable parts
- Device is designed for simple operation and maintenance; all consumable parts are reachable, etc.
- Very straightforward setup process, "installed in minutes"
- Attractive and easy to use operation software (see image above, click for larger view)
- Software allows direct control over easily removable support structures
- Print queuing is possible - but you'll still have to take items off the platform in-between prints
- Diagnostic features, including remote diagnostics from the factory
- Constant build speed of 12.7mm per hour (Z-axis movement) or even faster (20.3mm/hr) if using the special yellow build material in draft mode
- Requires a separate cleaning/curing unit to finish printed objects
This looks quite good for a moderately priced commercial 3D printer, and the control software has some great features.
Via 3D Systems