Now that's changed - A1 Technologies, the folks behind the very inexpensive RapMan 3D printer, have put together a "Starter-Kit" that includes all the bits you'd need to get scanning right away. The best part: it's only £ 320.00 (USD$520ish). What do you get in the kit?
- high-resolution 2-megapixel webcam (1600 x 1200) with autofocus
- stand for webcam
- red line laser module (650 nm, Class 1 laser) with adjustable focus, including battery
- calibration panels (for three different object sizes)
- base plate for mounting the calibration panels
- DAVID Laserscanner Professional Edition software on a USB Flash Drive
- User manual
To obtain the required data users simply hold the laser in their hand and sweep the laser line over the object to be scanned. The DAVID-laserscanner will immediately generate a 3D model in your PC, capturing even fine surface details of less than 0.2 mm. Simply scan all sides of the object separately, including the top and bottom. With DAVID-Shapefusion it is possible to merge multiple scans that were made from different sensor directions in order to get a complete, textured 360˚ model.
Via A1 Technologies (Hat tip to Rachel)