Oh woe. Tinkercad announced its pending demise, as the team developing it has been reassigned to another project.
Launched in 2011, Tinkercad became the premier tool for web-based 3D model development. It even included direct hookups to various 3D print services, creating a very easy path to 3D prints for casual designers. By the end of June, however, it will be gone according to their posting. They've published a gradual shutdown sequence that commences very soon:
- Effective immediately we have closed sign-ups for new users
- April 30 2013 - All free accounts will be changed to read only
- August 31 2013 - All academic accounts will be changed to read only
- December 31 2013 - All paid accounts will be changed to read only
- June 31 2014 - Read only access for all users will be discontinued